FACEBOOK FOR HOURS ON END
Here’s a depressing thought: apparently, the average Facebook user spends 23 hours per month using the social networking site. With 500,000,000 users worlwide, that means that 700 billion minutes are being consumed by Facebook as people spend hours on end ‘poking’ their “friends” and ‘liking’ photos and videos etc. However, recent news shows that some people have got sick of endless timewasting and started deleting their accounts. In fact, 100,000 users in the UK deactivated their Facebook membership during May. But, it’s not the end of the world yet for founder, Mark Zuckerberg, as there are still 29.8 million users in the UK.
DON’T END UP IN TROUBLE
Would you be able to commit “Facebook suicide” (as it is known) and log-off for good? If you are one of those people who can’t resist uploading every single photo of you throwing up after 20 cocktails or smiling into the camera with “disco” eyes in a club, then if you work in an office, you might want to consider deleting your account before your boss sees them and you end up in all sorts of trouble.
CONSTANT STATUS UPDATES
Don’t get the wrong end of the stick though! I’m not completely anti Facebook. I use it to mainly keep in touch with my friends all over the world to find out how things are at their end. However, I don’t do constant ‘status updates’ like, “Just going to bed” or “Having a pizza with Jenny”. If I am ever on the receiving end of too much stuff like that from one person, then I usually switch off their updates permanently. At the end of the day, I could live without Facebook and use email to stay in contact with friends…Or making a phone call! Or even actually seeing them face-to-face in real life! Imagine that!
Even though 6,000,000 users in the USA also left Facebook last month, I don’t think that Zuckerberg will be struggling to make ends meet anytime soon. It is rumoured that he will sell Facebook for around $100 billion. So, even if 200 million people stop using Facebook after that, he’s still going to be one rich son of a bitch. End of!
If you are addicted to the Internet, just can’t leave your computer alone and can’t see any light at the end of the tunnel, then maybe deleting your Facebook account would be the first step in the right direction. Don’t forget to keep reading the SGI blog though!!!
Glossary: END Idioms (& more)
- end of road
- the point after which progress or survival cannot continue
- To do sth for hours on end
- to do sth for a very long time
- without end
- Not the end of the world
- not such a huge problem
- end up in trouble
- to find yourself in trouble, with problems
- Don’t get the wrong end of the stick
- Don’t misunderstand me – don’t get the wrong idea
- How are things at your end?
- How are you?
- to be on the receiving end
- when sb receives the result of an unpleasant action
- At the end of the day
- when you think about everything. Alternatives: All things said and done, All things considered
- to make ends meet
- to try to live/survive with very little money
- End of
- (Informal) Full saying is ‘End of story’, which means ‘there is nothing more to say about a subject that is being talked about
- To see light at the end of the tunnel
- a sign (that you have been waiting for, or wanting for a long time) that some bad thing is nearly finished or over.