Visa information for studying in the UK

The information included for guidance only.

If you are a citizen of the EU, EEA or Switzerland, you will not need a visa to study in the UK for up to 6 months. If you live outside the EEA or Switzerland, you will probably need a visa to study in the UK. 

If you require a visa, you will need to apply for either a 6-month Standard Visitor visa or an 11-month Short-term Study Visa, depending on how long you will be studying for.

Citizens of some countries, including Brazil, Mexico, and Japan do not need a visa if they want to study in the UK for up to 6 months. Students from these countries will still need a visa letter from the school and must get their passport stamped by immigration when they enter and leave the UK.

Students from non-visa national countries who are studying for 6 months or less do not need to apply in advance. Travellers from these countries must not use the e-gates at the UK airport or port of entry. It is very important to see an immigration officer and obtain a passport stamp in order to be allowed to attend the school. Students must also bring copies of school confirmation documents to show immigration officers at the UK border.

Students visiting the UK on a Short-term study visa for longer than 6 months, must collect a Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) in their first 10 days in the UK. If you do not, you can only stay in the UK for 30 days and may be given a financial penalty or be sent home early with no refund. For more information on the BRP visit the government website here.

Passport holders of Oman, Qatar and United Arab Emirates qualify for an Electronic Visa Waiver (EVW), which will allow them to study for a period of up to 6 months. An EVW form can be completed online; it is free of charge and quicker than applying for a visa. Students do not need to provide biometric information (photo and fingerprints), attend a visa application centre or hand in a passport in advance of travel. You must apply for an EVW online at least 48 hours before you travel. To apply for an EVW click here.

If you have a stamp in your passport which tells you to register your arrival in the UK, you will need to register with The Overseas Visitors Records Office, and then attend an appointment at Brandon House.

Brandon House is open from 09.00 – 16.00 Monday to Friday. The telephone number is 020 7230 1208. The address is 323 Borough High Street, London, SE1 1JL.

The nearest tube station is Borough, on the Northern Line.

We can supply a letter on official headed paper with the details to prove that you are studying with us. For full details of how to register click here.

group of people

Students with a Short Term Study Visa

Students with a Short Term Study Visa

Not sure about your English level? Take our free online English test

contact form
Contact our team
We respond quickly and fully

We answer all email and requests as they come in. If you have an urgent matter or would like to place an order please click the link below to give us a call.