- You need to write 3-4 paragraphs and 150 words. If you don’t, you will be penalized.
- In the initial paragraph, you need to paraphrase the question. Start the paraphrase with one of the following prompts,
- ‘The table shows/illustrates the trends in .... between .......
- The graph shows......
- The chart shows how the ..... have changed ......
- Don’t include below in your paraphrase.
- Write an overview as you second sentence of your introduction. Look at the beginning and the end of the chart to help determine your overview.
- Decide if the graph you are describing is a comparison, progression or both. You will need to use the appropriate language for each type. For example, if it is comparative , use ‘the same as’ or if it is progressive, use ‘ a slight increase’.
- Change noun and adjectives phrases into verbs and adverbs to create a range of expressions, for example ‘a slight increase’ to ‘increase slightly’. Also, try to learn a few different ways to say the same thing so you don’t have to repeat yourself (‘increase’, ‘go up’, ‘rise’). Remember you will be marked on your language range and accuracy.
- Describe the most general trends in second paragraph, including the most striking characteristics.
- You need to add linker to help your essay to help with its cohesion and coherence; in other words, it’s flow. Here are some useful expressions: in addition, furthermore, however, although.
- In the 3rd paragraph you need to give a more detailed description. You still need to focus on main trends, but focus more on elements within each part of the graph (For 10 years, there was a gradual upward trend until it peaked at 250units in 2002, followed by a dip.). Add data to support your information.
- Don’t describe all small details as this creates lists which sound mechanical.
- Instead of writing :It went up by 2% and then dropped up 5%, then rose again for 2 years, and again dropped by 2%.
- Write: It fluctuated between 5% and 2% for the first quarter of the year.
- You don’t have to write a conclusion, but it makes the writing seem more complete if you do.
- Don’t forget spelling and punctuation count towards accuracy.
You must practise the tasks for IELTS writing to improve your Band Score.
The problem is that most IELTS students do not have a teacher that...