SELTs (Secure English Language Tests) are tests introduced by the British Government (Home Office) to test English levels of candidates for their immigration/visa applications. They are also now used in by Transport for London (Tfl) for testing the English level of private hire drivers. The Trinity College London Graded Exams in Spoken English (GESE) and Integrated Skills in English (ISE) tests are approved and popular SELTs. GESEs have a short listening and speaking component, ISEs test all the four skills, including and reading.
A SELT is compulsory for the following visa applications:
1) Further Leave to Remain or Spouse/Partner Visa: For this you must pass a SELT in at least CEFR level A1* in Speaking and Listening. This is the Trinity GESE Grade 2.
2) Further Leave to Remain (visa extension): For this you must pass a SELT in at least CEFR level A2* in Speaking and Listening. This is the Trinity GESE Grade 3.
3) Indefinite Leave to Remain or British Citizenship: For this you must pass a SELT in at least CEFR level B1* in Speaking and Listening. This is the Trinity GESE Grade 5
4) TfL Private Hire Licence Renewal or New Licence Application: For this you must pass a SELT in at least CEFR level B1* in Speaking, Listening, Reading and Writing. This is the Trinity ISE I.
*CEFR levels of English –The Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR) is an international standard for describing language ability. A1 is beginner level and B1 intermediate level.
To discuss or book SGI flexible 1-1 course (4 hours of Private Tuition), please contact us by phone on 0207 299 1700 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
With the GESE SELT test, you receive provisional results immediately on the same day of the exam session.
When you pass your GESE SELT test, you can usually expect to receive your certificate within seven days of the test date.
When you pass your ISE 1 SELT test, you receive:
- a certificate if you passed both parts of the exam
- a diagnostic report for each skill showing how you performed in the exam
Candidates who pass both parts of their ISE SELT test usually receive their certificate within 15 days.
SELT Centres London
There are 3 SELT Centres in London; Hammersmith, Holborn and Croydon. You must do a SELT exam at one of these centres for it to be accepted by the Home Office. SELT Test applications are made online. SGI are happy to help you book the exam.
The GESE exam fee is £150. The ISE exam fee is £180. For exam dates and exam availability, please contact us on 0207 299 1700 or e-mail email@example.com
SGI's Trinity College SELT preparation courses, ensure that applicants meet the language requirements of the particular test they need, and that they know exactly what is expected of them when they take the test. To give you an idea of what we prepare you for....
Exam structure A1 & A2 (Trinity GESE Grade 2 & Grade 3)
The exam takes the form of an unscripted conversation with a Trinity examiner, and lasts between 5 and 7 minutes. The examiner uses visual materials to engage the candidate and create an authentic conversation to test their speaking and listening skills.
Exam structure B1 (Trinity GESE Grade 5)
The exam takes the form of an unscripted conversation with a Trinity Examiner and lasts for 10 minutes. There are two parts to the exam:
The Topic discussion: the candidate selects a topic of their choice to prepare in advance and discuss with the examiner. It can be on any subject that interests them but must allow them to demonstrate the language functions and communicative skills required for the grade.
The Conversation: the candidate engages in a one-to-one conversation based on two subject areas appropriate to the grade.
Exam structure B1 (Trinity ISE 1)
Candidates must pass both modules for an ISE I (B1) qualification.
ISE I consists of two exam modules:
- Reading & Writing
- Speaking & Listening
Reading & Writing 2 hours: Speaking & Listening 18 minutes:
- 2 x Reading tasks 1 x Topic task
- 1 x Reading into writing task 1 x Conversation task
- 1 x Writing task 2 x Listening task
To discuss or book an SGI flexible 1-1 preparation course, please contact us by phone +44(0)20 7299 1700 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Who is this course for?
For students who wish to apply for visas for settlement purposes in the UK