When I was growing up, I used to love watching Arnold Schwarzenegger action films. So it’s funny to now blog that probably one of the most used headlines this week was: ‘Arnold Schwarzenegger’s marriage has been terminated’. Although happy marriages are still fresh in people’s minds because of Prince Williams wedding, it is judgement day for the ex-governor of California’s one, as he and his wife have split up.
Schwarzenegger has admitted that he cheated on his wife over 10 years ago. This act of unfaithfulness was committed over 10years ago while he was still the governor. News of his marriage break up was revealed last week but it has only been now that people know it was because of an affair with his long-term house-keeper. This subsequently led to him having a son with her. This really was one of his true lies.
Schwarzenegger is known as a womaniser. As well as numerous women accusing him of sexual advances, he was even accused of groping a British female TV presenter during the late 90s. His adultery was never proven, although during his election campaign for governor he did admit to being inappropriate to women on certain occasions. They all probably feel like they were given a raw deal now and its amazing that his separation did not happen sooner.
What is more shocking though is that apparently his illegitimate son was born 5 days after his wife gave birth to their 4th child. 3 weeks after that, the mistress house-keeper divorced from her husband, citing “irreconcilable differences”. Even though Schwarzenegger’s wife hasn’t filed for divorce just yet, she has hired a famous celebrity divorce attorney so the long goodbye has already started.
As a child, I could never really separate his good guy characters to his real-life persona, and always thought he could do no wrong. Infidelity would never be something he would commit. However, now I’m just that little bit more mature, I can tell the difference between fantasy and reality! So as well as terminating his marriage, I’m sure he’s terminated many fans too and it is the end of days for this last action hero.
Divorce and reason vocabulary
- the institution of being married, when you have a husband or wife
- the ceremony and party when you get married
- To split up / break up
- to end a relationship
- To cheat on someone
- being with another person romantically when already in a relationship
- Being dishonest in a relationship because of someone else
- An affair
- a sexual relationship between two people who are not married to each other
- A womaniser
- a man who likes many women and has short sexual relationships with them
- Sexual advances
- actions or words intended to be sexually inviting
- To grope
- to touch or handle (someone) for sexual pleasure
- sex between a married person and someone other than their husband/wife
- the state of being separated, usually before
- born of parents who are not married to each other
- A mistress
- a woman who has a continuing extramarital sexual relationship with a man
- To cite irreconcilable differences
- to give reasons in divorce that problems between husband and wife cannot be solved
- To file for divorce
- to start the official process of divorce
- A divorce attorney
- a lawyer specific to divorce